How to Get a Pond Construction Permit

Michigan Equipment Supplier

Pond Construction Equipment Supplier Grand Rapids Mi

If you’re considering renting an excavator to install a pond, it’s important to have the right paperwork. In Michigan, there are certain circumstances in which you might need to get a permit before building a pond on your property. Our Grand Rapids, MI construction equipment rental company can walk you through obtaining the necessary paperwork.

Do I Need a Pond Permit?

Not everyone needs a permit to construct their pond, but in some cases, the government has some control over whether you can excavate the land on your property. It’s a good idea to apply for your permit before going through the process of renting construction equipment.

According to the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ), you will need a permit to construct a pond if any of the following are true:

  • The pond will either connect to, or be within 500 feet of, an existing body of water such as a lake, river, or stream.
  • The pond will be within a regulated wetland or 100-year floodplain.
  • The pond’s size will reach or exceed a surface area of 5 acres.
  • The pond’s construction will require the damming of an existing stream.

If your pond excavation meets any of the above conditions, you’ll need to apply for a pond permit with the DEQ. This helps ensure that Michigan’s water bodies and protected landscapes remain intact for future generations.

How to Obtain a Pond Permit in Michigan

If you need a permit for your pond excavation project, you can find the application on the website for Michigan’s Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy. You’ll have to create a MiWaters account in order to proceed with your application. Once you’ve done that, you’ll be able to search for the application form.

The permit you need is called “Joint Permit Application for Work in Inland Lakes and Streams, Great Lakes Wetlands, Dams, High Risk Erosion Areas, and Critical Dune Areas.” Once you fill out the online application, a representative will be in touch with you about the status of your permit application.

Are you still not sure if your pond project will require a permit? The DEQ offers two services that can help. The first is the Wetland Identification Program, a program in which a representative will come out to your property and identify whether it is a regulated wetland. If so, you will need to apply for a permit.

If the property is not a regulated wetland but you’re still unsure if you need a permit to construct your pond, you can also attend a pre-application meeting with DEQ staff to talk through your project. You’ll need to bring detailed information about your pond construction project, but after your meeting, they will be able to tell you whether you need a permit before you build.

Contact Us

Once you have your pond permit, you’re ready to rent your equipment! Fredrickson Supply is a municipal and construction equipment supplier in Grand Rapids, MI. To learn more about the construction equipment we currently have in stock, including pond excavators, call us today at (888) 949-2385.

Related Blog Posts

How to Rent Heavy Equipment in Just a Few Hours

3 Benefits of Heavy Equipment Rental

This blog post has been updated.

Request a Free Quote!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.